Saturday 3 September 2011

Ten Years On

  A friend of mine off Facebook, Gary Jones recently posted some super photos from a recent trip to Chester Zoo and in particular some great shots of Black Rhino. The photos took me back 10 years to a trip that I did to Northern Kenya.
 I'm sure that we all remember where we were on that fateful day- 11th september 2001 and for me it certainly was memorable as I along with a team of about 12 others were cycling across the remote dusty tracks of Laikipia raising money for Save the Rhino.
 So the other day I had a rummage in the studio. There in a small box are pages from a sketchbook from that trip. These sketches have never been on display since they were done so I have scanned a couple and put them on here for the first time.
 I'm actually not too sure what to do with them, some as you can see are quite saleable where as others have a special meaning and little commercial value.
Anyway, here they are.
White Rhino in the heat of the day.
These were on the Lewa Reserve and we were able to approach to within just a few metres. We did see Black Rhino as well but they tend to be more cautious.

Lone Bull Elephant.

Samburu Tribesman and the type of terrain through which we cycled.

White Rhino mother (Opndo) and 8 week old calf at Lewa.

No comments:

Post a Comment