Friday 20 August 2010

Another change of plans

  The intentions were good, a day to tick off some references near to Helvellyn and also a good long walk out. Sadly, as happens the weather didnt play ball with low cloud litterally putting a dampener on things. As I left the Car Park at Swirls I was hopeful that the cloud cover would have lifted off Brown Cove Crags by the time I reached them. On route I had to visit the watefall in Helvellyn Gill (an awkward descent and re-ascent on steep, wet grassy slopes) and once that had been done we approached the crags as the rain came in. Huddling behind a rock for shelter I formed Plan B as I supped a hot drink. Plan B was put into action as I cant afford the time to wander across mist covered fells just for the sake of it.
 So a return to the car was called for from where I travelled to the Heaton Cooper Gallery in grasmere to pick up some art materials. By the time this was done there was a hint of clearing weather so we returned up to the summit of Dunmail Raise. From there we were able to take the second half of my original plan and ascend besides Raise Beck to then continue up to Seat Sandal.
Seat Sandal above Grasmere.

I have learnt over the past few years to be adaptable and today it payed off. Not every target was achieved but at least I had something to show for a poor start to the day. More photos and details of the day can de found on the website via the On Location Page http://www.theteesdalegallery.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment