Friday 8 August 2014

The Wainwrights in oils......the follow up.

 Firstly, many thanks to all of you who have liked and commented on my blog post yesterday. Most of the comments have been made on The Teesdale Gallery Facebook page and are there to see. Also thanks to those of you who have contacted me via email. Your overwhelming support has been heart-warming.
 So, following up on this situation I was thinking it would have been at least something to get an acknowledgement from the artist that he had been inspired to begin his project after seeing or reading about The Wainwrights in Colour. So I set about to catch a fish.
 By pure co-incidence I actually have been following Simon Whitfield's page on Flickr, he does take some pretty good photos of the Lake District. So yesterday I posted a comment on one of his photos, a view from Arnison Crag. I was hoping he would post some sort of reply which he has just done.
His reply to my comment "that's quite like a Wainwright view" was "I've been doing some of the Wainwright fells for an exhibition in Keswick this autumn. It is not as heroic project as your own superb and unique Wainwrights in Colour which Is an outstanding, achievement, but I hope it might give some small pleasure to Lake District enthusiasts" unquote.
So he acknowledges my project but makes no relationship to the two ideas. I could think I was being paranoid but even yesterday I received a message from someone who recently in a gallery saw one of his works and both friends commented to each other how similar his work was to mine.
 Despite suggestions from friends I will not be taking this further but I am confident in the knowledge that he has been shown as blatantly copying my unique idea.
 The good thing about having been in this business for some time is that I know a lot of people in the art world, I think it's about time I made a few phone calls and get myself invited to an opening of an exhibition this autumn in Keswick. :)

1 comment: