Wednesday 13 November 2013

Great Gable Memorial

As some of you may know, there is a memorial plaque on the very summit of Great Gable which is dedicated to the members of the Fell and Rock Climbing Club who made the ultimate sacrifice in The Great War. Every year on Remembrance Sunday hundreds of fellwalkers make a pilgrimage to this point to pay respects to all those who have given their lives in that conflict and the following actions.
 This year there was something different, the old plaque has been replaced with a new version, a bright shiny one and free of the spelling mistake of the original which has now apparently has been given to the Imperial War Museum. 
 
Great Gable.
Following this replacement I have had a couple of emails from followers of The Wainwrights in Colour as to whether I would consider revising my sketch for the project (above) to reflect the new memorial. Possibly more in jest than a serious question. However, there is a simple answer, no. It would be virtually impossible for me to revisit locations where some differences have occurred since I first obtained references. I do think that this one is slightly different of course as it is a man made feature and quite unique. The new version at this time is sparkly new and I imagine that in time it will tarnish. I must say though that I rather like the weathered look of the original and of course it would have been the very one which Wainwright himself would have drawn in his sketch.
 So it is an interesting point but I will stick with the current sketch. And not of course forgetting the reason it is there in the first place....
We will remember them.

No comments:

Post a Comment